20110914

Thinking about my Intro...

I've been trying to put together a rough layout of what my Thesis might look like, or if it had to be handed in soon. This has been informing my 2nd Sketch Essay.

The Introduction to my Thesis and research topic is summed up by  quote from Andreas Dornbracht (from his chapter Ritual, People, Architecture in D. Hebel and J. Stollmann's Architecture Unplugged).




"...If we want to find ourselves, we must enjoy ourselves. In an individually personalized environment. In our own personal bathroom. A bathroom that, in its entirety, is a kind of interface for our physical and spiritual needs and which also reflects them.”[1] (Dornbracht, 2005, P.21)


[1] Dornbracht, A. (2005). People, Ritual, Architecture. In D. Hebel & J. Stollmann (Eds.), Bathroom Unplugged: Architecture and Intimacy (pp. 21- 25). Basel, Switzerland: Birkhäuser.


And so, for Sketch Essay 2, I have put this as an Introduction, as a sort of accompaniment to my own Introduction which is to be much more personal. Dornbracht's notions of an "individually personalized environment" echo my desire for a bathroom solely for myself.