20110917

More writing...Intro cont.


BATHROOM TO LORNA


Eczema is just a layer of this project, it demonstrates a level of individuality that is shared by a limited amount of people around the world. This could be compared to, for example, being a single mother looking after a 3 year old whilst wanting to have a shower, or similarly, having a visual impairment and longing to be independent in the bathroom. All examples are unique. Design could be personally driven and accommodate such layers of individuality through the cross-over between spatial design and product design through the designer. 

This is a very personal history of my Eczema that explains why the mentality of the bathroom as a chore has emerged for me. I intend to cut down so that it doesn't become the main parameters of the project, it is only a layer. I do not want to design bathrooms for persons who have Eczema.

To me, the bathroom is a room that I dread entering, however once I am inside and “doing something” I begin to enjoy myself. I grew up in Scotland, in a small village 25 miles from the nearest town. From birth to 6 months, my mum and dad noticed that I was constantly covered in a red, blotchy rash from head to toe and at age 6months I was diagnosed with Atopic Eczema. Throughout my 24 year life so far, I have undergone countless treatments for Eczema – most of which involve treatments that occur within the bathroom, or after having a bath. These treatments included:
  • Chinese Herbal Medicine (bath additives)
  • Dry-Wraps (bandaging done in bathroom)
  • Moisturizing and Cream Application (done in bathroom)
  • Bath Emollients (added to baths)
  • Wet-Wraps (wet bandaging required to be done in bathroom)
  • Oat baths (bath additive and used similar to soap)
  • Potassium Permanganate baths (bath additive)
  • Ichthammol and Zinc bandages (coated bandaging done in bathroom)
  • Ichthammol and Zinc skin application (applied as a cream in bathroom)
  • LIST CONT.

The bathroom became a room where I would be treated for my Eczema, almost like a hospital, where a simple bath or shower meant a strict routine to maintain my skin. Entering the bathroom was the beginning of a long tedious ritual to keep my Eczema under control. Gradually as I got older, I grew out of my food allergies and today I am only allergic to eggs, nuts and animal fur, which will induce an Eczema flare-up. However, the bathroom became a chore, and this mentality has stuck with me for as long as I can remember.

My Eczema makes the bathroom an experience unique to me, and instead of hiding it, how can I incorporate it into my re-design of the bathroom.

SUMMARY OF THESIS? Through practice-led research for deisgn, I intend to investigate personal aspects of the bathroom for myself, and translate these into a bathroom design that is a result of the practice-led research conducted and discussed throughout my Thesis. The ultimate goal is to create an individual bathroom; a bathroom designed for myself, and that accommodates my own individual routines, rituals, actions and movements within the bathroom, aspects which are not visible in current bathroom design, specifically my current home in Rolleston. 

Highlighted through design investigations, a Bathroom Diary and analysis and reflection of these. (incomplete sentence)

How can I make the bathroom a more enjoyable experience?
How can I re-enthuse myself about entering the bathroom through design?