20110831

In response to Supervision notes dated 19.08.11

Supervision notes

_Diagramming.  - Have started diagramming movement - Rediscovering the bathroom.

_Analysis informing several design exercises. - Working on. Unsure.

_Seminars - reading that had analysis of movements/diary - look back on. - Pedgley - "Capturing and analysing(sp?) own design activity"

_Site. Rolleston. Modelled up. Site information gathered.

_Title. Theorize tailor-made. Could be tailor-made physically, or tailor-made through my experience?

_NZ housing. Lots to work with - inform my direction.
Communicate to audience what the house is. Describe house. "2009 NZ Stonewood house." Built by...designed by...
 - Have found out as much as I can about the design of my house from what we have available - paying particular attention to the bathroom.

_Pragmatic - Pre-Chch design exercises. Height of faucet for me etc. Remember, things extend from the bathroom - hot water cylinder, pipes, laundry etc. Think beyond the surface - lining, glue, 'stuff'. Redesigning the current bathroom 'tailor-made' to personal body shape, size etc.

_Poetic - Post-Chch design exercises. Particularly film of feet through tiles - my relationship to my NZ home. Video, soundscape, sensual, provocative. Documenting the NZ bathroom actions, movements - relationship to body through film.

_Reflect upon what I have done so far. View it for all it's worth, in other ways and think about how it informs my project and my projects direction.
- Initial Films - personal actions in the bathroom. 
- Movement Drawings - life-sized.  Capturing my experience of the bathroom, that I am always moving. Captures specific moments in the shower and bath.
- Movement Drawings 2 - life-sized. Trying to draw myself while I reenact the act of showering and bathing. Impossible to capture the still moment - only in that position for a split second, then move.
- Movement Drawings Films - capturing the act of trying to reenact bathing or showering and projecting it, then drawing it onto paper.
- Digital 3d 'Bath-Room' - 3d space constructed from the movements I make in the bathroom. (3 iterations)
- Diary - Written rigorous documentation of what I do in the bathroom. (About 3 weeks worth of diary entries to date).
- Film Diary - Visual documentation of what I do in the bathroom. Composition reflects the body onto the architecture and products highlighting my movement through the bathroom room. (Various iterations).
- Sound Diary - Auditory documentation of what I do in the bathroom. Individual sounds from when I am in the bathroom - when the bathroom is functioning. (Various iterations).
- Photographs of Body & Bathroom - photographs taken after having a shower and looking at the state of the shower as a consequence of using the product. The subconscious drawings the body creates on the shower.

More in-depth reflection needed. Rough summary only.

_Laura Ford's thesis. Look online. Few chapters I'd like on bathroom, surface, domestic house etc. Downloaded and browsed quickly through.

_Re-model my current bathroom - 2 iterations of the same design or different methods. 2 pragmatic // 1 pragmatic, 1 poetic // 2 poetic. Think about the 2 different directions my project could take.